What is Lasik Eye Surgery Used For
What is Lasik Eye Surgery Used for?
Are you tired of using contact lenses or wearing eyeglasses? Have you ever wondered if LASIK eye surgery is best for you? Well, LASIK is one of the best laser eye surgery procedures that use laser in correcting farsightedness, nearsightedness, and astigmatism. It is where the thin corneal flap is created with the use of femtosecond laser or microkeratome blade. The flap will be folded back by the surgeon, then removes the corneal tissues underneath using the excimer laser.
LASIK eye surgery has good record as complications resulting to loss of visions are rare. Aside from that, most individuals are satisfied about the outcomes. Some side effects certainly, temporary visual disturbance and dry eyes are typically common. These usually go back to normal after few weeks. And just few people considered them as long-term problems.
What are Involved in LASIK surgery?
There are actually several laser eye surgery and LASIK eye surgery is the most known and commonly performed. In LASIK, normally the images are focus at the retina of your eyes. With farsightedness(hyperopia), nearsightedness(myopia) or astigmatism. It ends up being focus elsewhere that results to blurred vision.
- Nearsightedness or myopia is the condition wherein, your eyes can only clearly see nearby objects but, distant or far objects are blurred. This happens when cornea curves very sharply, the light rays focused on front of retina, that’s why there is a blurry distant vision. When you are suffering from myopia, you can clearly see objects that are more close, but not the objects that are distant or far.
- Farsightedness or hyperopia is your eye condition, wherein you can only clearly see objects once they are far from you, but those nearby objects are blurred. Once you have shorter cornea than the average eyeball or if it is very flat, the light rays focus behind your retina. When you are farsighted, you can’t clearly see nearby objects.
- Astigmatism condition causes overall blurred vision. This usually happens when your cornea flattens unevenly or curves sharply. That will disrupt your focus of distant or near vision.
The traditional procedure in correcting your vision is by refracting or bending the light with contact lenses or eyeglasses. But, in reshaping your eye cornea itself will provide the vision correction and necessary refraction. With LASIK eye surgery, surgeon will detail and assess your eye measurement then, he/she will be using a special cutting laser in order to precisely alter your cornea’s curvature.
LASIK Eye Surgery’s Possible Side Effects
LASIK eye surgery is said to be one of the most known and commonly performed types of laser surgical operation. However, it will not be avoided that some patients may experience discomfort during the first day after their surgery. Some side effects though rare, include:
- Dry eyes
- Fluctuating vision
- Difficulty driving especially at night
- Seeing halo images
Some advantages include:
- Quick recovery without stitches & bandages required.
- Proven & work effectively in correcting vision of all cases.
LASIK surgery procedure is not painful.