Root canal treatment
Teeth have their own circulation, metabolism, and involves blood vessels and nerves as well. The nerve fibres and veins run inside the pulp tissue of the tooth and can be inflamed due to a variety of factors (e.g. deep caries, shock, crown fracture). The inflammation of the pulp tissue (pulpitis) cause intense pain and destroy the living tissues inside the tooth. In this case it is necessary to clean the internal tooth and then fill the root canal(s). This process is called root canal treatment.
Contrary to popular opinion, root canal treatment procedure can be done painlessly! The patient does not feel any pain during the treatment thanks to the technological advances.
Why Is It Necessary To Treat Inflamed Or Necrotic Teeth?
• because our primary goal is to keep your own teeth (instead of extraction)
• pain and bite sensitivity can be prevented or avoided
• further infections and complications can be prevented
Root Canal Treatment | Brief Description
• the first step is to clarify the complaints, make a dental examination and take an x-ray of the tooth (it shows the local environment of the tooth, the inflammation of the root apex and the periodontal status)
• next step is the local anesthesia of the tooth
• then follows the exposure of the tooth
• after the electrical determination of root canal length the dentist clean and explore the canals
• if It's necessary, a cleanser, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory material is placed into the tooth that temporarily close it
• the last step is the permanent filling of the root canals and the tooth and a control X-ray
Root Canal Treatment | After Intervention
In the most cases the treated tooth become asymptomatic because the infected, bacteria-rich pulp has been removed and interior of the tooth has been disinfected. The treated tooth can be sensitive to bite for 1-2 days but it doesn't mean sharp pain (inflammation of the area around the apex doesn't pass away immediately). Tooth that has a large filling is recommended to be covered with a crown, because the root canal treated tooth is lifeless (no circulation), it may become fragile over time.
Root Canal Treatment | Indications
• pain, cold sensitivity, when the deep caries reached pulp chamber and bacteria infect the pulp
• if the pulp chamber become open due to any shock or injury
• if the lifeless tooth is sensitive to heat and cause mild pain even if it's asymptomatic
• inflammation of the pulp
• if the vascular and nervous substance of tooth pulp absorbed
• if the crown destroyed, a post and core need to be inserted and it must be preceded by root canal treatment
• periodontal diseases
• if the tooth is grinded too close to the pulp while it's being prepared for a crown
• the tooth has uncertain vitality
Pulp Inflammation | Symptoms
• sharp pain caused by external stimuli
• it hurts spontaneously (without an external stimulus) and it takes up to several hours
• tooth can be discolored due to lifeless pulp, these teeth do not respond to any stimulus
• biting can be painful if not only the pulp but the root area is inflamed as well
• X-ray modification
• in several cases pulp become lifeless without any symptoms and the tooth can break without pain In these cases it is necessary to go to dentist immediately because the tooth can be saved with root canal treatment and the missing part can be replaced with porcelain veneer, dental crown or onlay
Book your appointment NOW!